The International Commission on Illumination – also known as the CIE from its French title, the Commission Internationale de l´Eclairage – is devoted to worldwide cooperation and the exchange of information on all matters relating to the science and art of light and lighting, colour and vision, photobiology and image technology.
With strong technical, scientific and cultural foundations, the CIE is an independent, non-profit organization that serves member countries on a voluntary basis. Since its inception in 1913, the CIE has become a professional organization and has been accepted as representing the best authority on the subject and as such is recognized by ISO as an international standardization body.
National Committee for Lighting in Bulgaria (CIE-NCLBg)
c/o Prof. Dr. Angel Pachamanov
Technical University of Sofia,
Faculty of Electrical Engineering,12325
8 Kl.Ohridski Blvd., Sofia 1797, Bulgaria
fax: +359 2 868-6719
tel: +359 2 965 2167
e-mail 1: email@example.com
e-mail 2: firstname.lastname@example.org
National Committee for Lighting in Bulgaria (NCLBg) – 50 years with CIE
The year of 2018 marks the 50th anniversary since the beginning of the official membership of the National Committee for Lighting in Bulgaria (NCLBg) in the International Commission on Illumination (CIE). Throughout these years, NCLBg has been going through many transitions, but preserved its merits and continued to be the non-profit organization responsible and driving the progress of lighting technology and lighting equipment standards, as well as implementing world-leading technologies and practices in Bulgaria. Today, 50 years later, NCLBg continues to be a proud member of CIE.
NCLBg is the successor to the National Commission for Lighting, established as a part of the State Committee on Science and Technical Progress of Bulgaria on September 12th, 1964. In 1967, at its Congress in Washington, CIE officially accepted NCLBg as a member with a National Committee (NC) status. On 01.01.1968, NCLBg as a state-owned organization, has been transferred to the Scientific and Technical Union of Electrical Engineering and Communications in Bulgaria and in the following decades NCLBg continued to exist as an independent organization representing Bulgaria within CIE. NCLBg members are regular participants in international conferences and events organized by CIE, and CIE leaders attended multiple conferences in Bulgaria organized by NCLBg.
In 1989 Bulgaria underwent serious political changes, and the following transition period was marked by a severe economic crisis. This required the amendment NCLBg’s status of a state-owned organization. Following a constituent meeting on November 3rd, 2004, NCLBg was transformed from state committee to a non-profit organization and was formally registered in the NPA’s Register in Bulgaria. Thus, NCLBg was reorganized to a union of individuals, legal entities, research organizations and universities working in the field of lighting and light technology.
Unfortunately, over the next decade, NCLBg faced more challenges. Due to the lack of sufficient funding in 2012, NCLBg’s leadership decided to suspend NCLBg’s membership in CIE. In 2016 NCLBg succeeded in restoring its membership to the CIE. Nowadays, NCLBg continues to work on the main goals and tasks laid down in the Statute of the organization:
- To develop prospects for growth and progress of the lighting technology and the implementation of “intelligent” tunnel, street, industrial and building lighting in Bulgaria
- To coordinate research in the field of manufacturing and operation of light sources, lighting equipment and their management systems
- To monitor and support the quick implementation of world scientific achievements and developments in the lighting technology in Bulgaria
- To organize international cooperation and provide information on the world scientific achievements in the field of lighting technology to the scientists and business in Bulgaria
NCLBg brings together companies, individuals, research organizations and universities to achieve common economic interests that increase competitiveness, business development, administrative capacity and people’s research potential.
NCLBg would like to use this opportunity to invite all specialists from CIE member National Committees to participate in the two upcoming conferences, organized by NCLBg. They will be held simultaneously in the period 20-22 September 2018 at the International House of Scientists in the resort “St.St. Konstantin and Elena” near the town of Varna at the Black Sea coast:
- BalkanLight 2018 – The International Conference BalkanLight 2018 is the traditional regional conference of the CIE for the Balkan Peninsula, which is organized on rotational basis every three years. On September 20-22, 2018 the conference will be held in Varna, the organization being arranged by NCLBg
- Lighting 2018 – A conference with International Participation, organized for a third consecutive year by NCLBg. This conference provides an opportunity to the young scientists from Bulgaria and all over the world to exchange ideas and experience